Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Black Lace Bow Shaped Purse


I made this black lace covered purse inspired by this video from K.L. aka Secret Life of of a Bio Nerd on Youtube using a couple of fat quarters and some black lace. Her tutorial is very straightforward and walks you through everything step by step and I'm very happy with how it turned out!

The materials I used were: 2 fat quarters (one black, one patterned for the inside), 10 inches of black lace fabric, lightweight interfacing, a gold jewelry chain, a 14 inch zipper, and magnetic closures (the two pack is for some reason cheaper than the individual ones). In total, all of the materials to make the purse cost less than $10, all of which I got at Joann's on sale.
I kept the dimensions of the purse exactly the same as in the video. Two fat quarters the perfect amount for this purse, although the strap pieces were slightly smaller. The main differences were that I added pockets to the lining, used an extra layer of the out fabric for the lace, not using the jump rings, and adding the magnetic closures before sewing them to the purse.

I cut out all of the outer pieces for the bag in black and later cut out pieces of lace for the pieces that would be facing outward only. For the lining (patterned fabric) I just cut a rectangle large enough to hold my phone (spoiler alert, the my phone in its case is too big to fit in the closed bag).
 I only had white interfacing, but you probably shouldn't use that when working with black fabric, although it ended up being sandwiched by the lace and the lining anyway.
For the loops that hold the straps. 
Attaching the lining to the zipper tape.
The pocket was based of this pleated pocket tutorial except with only two pockets instead of three. Instead of sewing a line straight down the bottom, I folded the sides of the phone pocket over a little to create some more depth. Before attaching the pocket, I folded in all four sides and sewed a straight stitch all around.



I attached the lace to the black fabric by sewing along the long sides.
Pressing the top edge of the outer fabric down. 
Finished zipper.
 For the bottom strap, I just sandwiched the lace in between the two pieces of black fabric. For the top strap with the pockets, I attached the lace to the longest pieces of black fabric first.



 To add the magnetic closure, it's probably easiest to attach it before you do the previous step since I had to turn the strap pieces wrong side out again.

After attaching the straps to the body of the bag and adding the chains to the loops (I didn't bother using jump rings), this is how the purse turned out:


No comments:

Post a Comment